By Jon RalstonFollow @jonralstonFox SportsThe NCAA announced on Thursday that it would not seek to reinstate former basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski and will not appeal the decision to reinstitute the three former players who were suspended for the 2010-11 season.
The decision came as a surprise to some because the NCAA had previously indicated that it had considered a petition from a former player.
The NCAA has been criticized for not enforcing its sanctions against former basketball players, but it’s unclear whether it will actually do so in the coming months.
The NCAA is currently appealing a separate court decision that ruled the players did not have the right to sue the school and have the sanctions reinstated.
The players, who were dismissed from their jobs as players at Duke University and Duke University in the early 1990s, are suing the school for defamation, unfair labor practices, and infliction of emotional distress.
They say the school retaliated against them for speaking out.
The university says it has cooperated fully with the NCAA and has fully cooperated with the investigation.
Duke also says it cooperated.
The Duke case will be reviewed by a three-member panel that includes former U.S. attorney Stephen D. Levinson, the NCAA’s vice president for compliance and public affairs, and former U:CONUS basketball coach Mark Gottfried, who also served as an assistant at Duke.